Graduate students who remain in good
academic standing are fully supported through a combination of teaching assistantship (typically 50
to 190 hours per year; up to 180 effective September 2017), research assistantship, external
scholarships and/or University of Toronto Fellowship support.
Current annual stipend rates (scheduled to increase up to $650 in 2017-18):
- $30,592*- base funding for students within the funded cohort**
- Up to $32,823 - holders of Ontario Graduate Scholarship, The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology**
- Up to $34,701 - holders of NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS/CGS M, PGS-D)**
- $36,500 - holders of NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (CGS-D)
- $50,000 - holders of NSERC Vanier
subject to change in a given academic year.
Students pay their own tuition and fees from
their stipend. The Department will provide a tuition scholarship for visa students while in the
funded cohort (ie. up to 4 years for PhD or up to 5 years for direct PhD) to cover the
differential between visa and domestic fees. The current tuition fee and refund schedules are
available at www.fees.utoronto.ca.
Scholarships Available for International Students
Scholarships Available for Domestic Students
*To be considered for a nomination, student must have received an offer of admission by Department of Chemistry.
**Domestic applicants who plan to apply for the NSERC CGS-M must make sure to apply by December 1; a nationwide deadline by NSERC. Contact our Chemistry Graduate Office to learn more about this funding opportunity and for assistance with your application.