What you need:
•    Be a TA
•    Know your Employee Number or have the last four digits of your SIN
•    10 minutes

What you get:
•    $501.36

If you have been a TA between September 2014 and August 2015, as part of the union, CUPE 3902 provides up to $800 reimbursement for applicable health care expenses in the form of a Health Care Spending Account (HCSA). This can be used in conjunction with the GSU insurance plan.

One thing that all TAs can claim is the premium (the amount we pay the university) for the GSU health care plan. Many students are unaware of this and how simple it is to do, so below is a step by step guide for what to do. The process is relatively fast and should yield $501.36. Claims must be received by CUPE before the end of August. Any money left on your HCSA after August is lost. This process can also be repeated for other applicable expenses (See links at end of email).

To claim your GSU premium through the HCSA:
1.    Log into ROSI: http://www.rosi.utoronto.ca/
2.    Select Financial Account -> Show Invoice
3.    In the drop down menu for “Select Session:”, select 2014 Fall – 2015 Winter and then push the Show Invoice button
4.    Print this Invoice
5.    Click on “Show Account Details”
6.    Print this page
7.    The GSU premium are under the Program fee FT – Domestic
a.    GSU-Health Coverage
b.    Dental Plan-FT
c.    GSU-FT
8.    There are two fees paid for a total of $501.36
a.    2014 Winter, $250.68
b.    2013 Fall, $250.68
9.    Mark these so it is easier for the insurer to see
10.    Obtain your Employee No.
a.    Have the last 4 digits of you SIN number handy
b.    Go to http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/resources/ess/opsafnae.htm and login to the online pay statement (Login to ESS for Non-Appointed / Casual Employees)
c.    Enter the last 4 digits of your SIN and select “Get Pay Dates”
d.    Select “Display” on one of your pay statements
e.    Your Employee Number is in the top left of the pay statement, before your name
11.    Download the claim form at http://cupe3902.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/CUPE-3902-Spending-Account-and-Claim-Form-Sept-1-2013-Version-2.pdf
12.    Fill out the Claim Form
a.    For “Type of Claims” enter GSU Premium on the SELF line
12.    Mail the Claim Form to the address indicated on the form.

More information can be found in the following links:

GSU claim pamphlet: http://cupe3902.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Unit-1-Benefits-Pamphlet-2012.pdf

Expenses which can be claimed: http://cupe3902.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Unit-1-Benefits-Pamphlet-2012.pdf

HCSA FAQ: http://cupe3902.org/faq/

Some questions we have got
Q: Is there any reason not to do this?
A: There is no reason not to claim this money, even if you have an upcomming health care expense. Whether the $800 in your HCSA is used for your premium and a combination of health expenses, or entirely on health care expenses, the net result is the same ($800 into your bank account).

Q: I mailed my form off and I haven’t gotten my money yet. It has been X weeks
A: Just be paitient. If you mail it, it will come.

Q: I already claimed $XXX this year, what should I put on my form?
A: Attempt to claim the whole $501.36. They’ll sort out how much of that you will get back

Q: I filed one of these last summer. Can I file one again?
A: Yes. The roll over is in September 2014. So if you filed one for your 2013-2014 GSU premium, you can file another claim now for the 2014-2015 premium