Introduction to the 2007-8 Survey:
The 2007-8 project built on the previous pilot study to specifically examine the role of a student’s high school experience in their transition to first-year university chemistry. This page presents a summary of the findings, as provided for under the terms set out in the project's ethical review application and approved by the University of Toronto's Ethics Review Office (proposal #21173.)
Please direct any questions about the findings to the principal investigator.
- CUTG Meeting: “Bridging the Gap: The High School–University Transition in Chemistry”
- Slides for a presentation made at the Chemistry Undergraduate Teaching Group meeting, August 2008, University of Toronto. This provides both a profile of the students responding to our first questionnaire, as well as preliminary findings and recommendations of interest to first-year chemistry instructors.
- UT-TL Symposium: “Bridging the Gap: The High School–University Transition in Chemistry”
- Poster presented at the University of Toronto's 3rd Teaching and Learning Symposium, October 24th 2008, University of Toronto. This provides a slightly different presentation of the 2007-8 survey data, with general recommendations for University 1st-year instructors.
- STAO Conference: “What Do I Tell My Students?”
- A combination of slides and amplified notes for a presentation made at the Science Teacher’s Association of Ontario (STAO) conference, November 14th 2008, Toronto. This presentation provides a more up-to-date and detailed analysis of survey and interview data, with information and suggestions primarily for high school teachers.