Macroscale and Microscale Organic Experiments, 5th ed., by K.L. Williamson, pages 38-45 and 766-768 (pages 39-41 and 746-8, 4th ed.).
Organic Chemistry, 6th ed., by J. McMurry, Table 11.3, page 365 (p. 411, 5th ed.)
Supplementary Lab Notes, Experiment 1. Also read the Laboratory Safety section and the Students Guide to Working in the Chemistry Laboratory.
- Purchase a lab coat, googles, Supplementary Lab Notes, and lab notebook (can be purchased from the ChemClub till the end of September - see schedule of open hours on the door of LM203)
- Read the texts above
- Answer the pre-lab questions.
- Investigate the properties of all chemical substances required for Exp 1 and prepare a table as outlined in the SLN.
- Begin to write the lab report as described in the SLN.
- Prepare a point form summary of the experimental procedure.
- Bring a permanent (water-proof) finepoint marker to class for labelling test tubes!!
- Follow the instructions in the Supplementary Lab Notes (p. I-5 +) to prepare your lab notebook.